Sunday 9 September 2012

Weaving with scrap fabric

I love playing with scrap fabric and finding new ways to use it. Jasmine and I rummaged through a bag of old fabric pieces the other day to see what we could make.


The book "Fabric Leftovers" by D'Arcy-Jean Milne has some good ideas for weaving strips of fabric.


I bought some rug canvas on eBay. I bought canvas which is three and half holes per inch. If you type "rug canvas" into the internet several cheap options come up for where to purchase some samples.



You basically just weave the strips of fabric through the holes.


I am not sure what I will do with the finished product but it might make a fun picture for the kids room with a frame. Not sure? Or I could put a fabric backing on it and turn it into a bag? To any extent, it is quite a satisfying process mixing the different fabric colours and patterns to see what you end up with.

Jasmine found it a bit tricky to weave through such small holes so we set up something slightly easier for her using cardboard and stockings. I cut out a weaving frame using an old cardboard box.


I tied some stocking pieces across the length of the cardboard frame.


Jasmine then did some weaving across the frame.


She thought it might be fun to experiment with lace and other fabric strips too. This was a nice easy introduction to weaving with fabric.


We look forward to trying out some more elaborate projects in the future.

14 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. It is going to look amazing. It would make a beautiful rug on a larger scale. I have been working on a latch hook rug project. I may take the yarn out and do this instead. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/simple-anti-aging-moisturizer-and.html
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. A rug would look fun. I will be sure to share this link at your next link party. I have checked out your blog and added my name to your followers list too. You have some great activities on show.

      Delete
  2. Love how the weaving looks on the canvas! Thanks so much for sharing on Craft schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project for all of those scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pretty fabric craft and great to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome activity. I've been thinking of weaving a lot lately. Loved it as a kid, and it's about time i revisited it - thanks

    ReplyDelete