Wednesday 20 February 2013

Styrofoam sculptures and prints




When I found myself with a bunch of styrofoam packaging left over from some new piece of equipment my husband purchased for the garden, I remembered a great post I had seen over at The Artful Parent. They made styrofoam scupltures. We decided to do something similar. We used:
  • broken pieces of styrofoam
  • colourful pipe cleaners
  • feathers
  • glue
  • paint
  • toothpicks
  • wooden skewers
  • colourful paddle pop sticks




We had a great deal of fun twisting the pipe cleaners and experimenting with different coloured feathers and paint. We were hoping to make a super tall sculpture but we discovered that there is a definite technique required in making sure your sculpture doesn't tip over.



We also tried printing different patterns using the styrofoam and paint. We used a pencil to poke holes in the styrofoam and then covered the image with a layer of paint before impressing it on a clean piece of paper.

 



5 comments:

  1. They look great! I love the idea of using Styrofoam to make stamps too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, styrofoam is such an easy and versatile material for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be keeping some styrofoam next time, it always goes straight in the bin. It makes great stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are SO COOL! What a fun way to spend the day. I just love everything on your blog so much, I don't know what else to say!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. I always look forward to your blog posts too!

    ReplyDelete