Thursday 4 April 2013

Make your own paper

I have always wanted to try and make my own paper so when I saw a paper making kit at a local shop recently of course I couldn't resist.




The kit included:
  • a plastic tray
  • two sheets of plastic mesh
  • some paper
  • instructions
In addition I used:
  • newspaper
  • tea towels
  • water bottle
  • warm water
  • oven tray

It was useful having the kit as I am a total beginner when it comes to making paper. However, it was remarkably easy and you could source your own plastic tray and mesh from other stores such as a $2 shop.

Step 1: Tear up pieces of scrap paper into 2cm squares.


Step 2: Fill 2/3 water bottle with warm water and paper bits. Leave 24 hours to soak.

Step 3: Shake bottle vigorously until mixture resembles porridge.


Step 4: Prepare oven tray, plastic tray and mesh sheets. Pour contents of water bottle into oven tray. Add some more water.


Step 5: Dip plastic tray and one layer of plastic mesh into the paper porridge mixture.



Step 6: Put second layer of plastic mesh over the top of the plastic tray. Squeeze out excess water.

Step 7: Carefully lift or tip paper onto tea towel. Use sponge to remove excess water.


Step 8: Remove plastic mesh and leave paper in between layers of tea towels and newspaper to dry for at least 12 hours.


Step 9: Remove from tea towels and leave to dry some more in open air. Once dry it is ready to make into a book, poster or cut up and decorate a card.

2 comments:

  1. This would be something I'd love to do with my girl when she's a bit older. I still remember doing it at school :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh how lovely! It turned out really well and it is something that has looong been on our to do list!

    ReplyDelete